Friday, August 14, 2009

How I Sewed Using a Pattern

Here's the pattern I followed. I tried to pick what looked like an easy one. No button holes, no elastic, nothing tricky. I made dress C.


This a diagram of how to lay your pattern pieces on your fabric. It has a key as to right side of fabric etc. on the pattern. What I couldn't figure out at first was how are my 2 selvage sides going to be perpendicular when they run parallel to each other. That's when I started looking at my pattern pieces and it said to lay it on the fold. So that was it, I had to fold it so that the 2 selvage ends are perpendicular to each other.

By the way, the selvage ends are those that don't fray, they are tightly woven and run down the sides that they don't cut at the fabric shop.

Lay down your pattern pieces (by the way, I knew I wanted to make the size 3 so I just cut out the pattern along the size 3 lines. I'm not sure if you're supposed to do that or not). Pin them in place and cut. Here, I was cutting into the fold so (so each pattern piece will double in size when you open up your cuts).

Piece number 1 had to go wrong side down.


See, here's piece number 1. It doubled in size since I cut along a fold. Lay your pieces right sides together and make sure the notches on the side line up. Pin and sew on the sides. Do not sew the arm holes yet.

I went ahead and added the hem piece before I finished the arm holes.
To do the arm holes, just fold over a 1/4 of an inch and press with an iron. Fold again and press. then sew.
To make the casing (the hole that the strap feed through), just fold over the top edge 1/4 of an inch. Press. Fold over again about a 1/2 an inch. Press. Sew.

I had to figure out a way to feed the strap through the casing. So I tied some embroidery thread onto the strap and tied it to a needle.
I just fed it through.




No comments: