Sunday, June 12, 2016

Decorative Wine Glass Tutorial

I was watching the Today show the other morning and saw Tori Spelling promoting her new movie....something about mom and danger. But I was more interested in the craft that she demonstrated, "How to embellish wine glasses with finger nail polish".

So I had to give it a try.

I grabbed two stemless wine glasses in the cabinet, 2 glass bowls and some nail polish (and some toothpicks).

Fill the bowls with water. I used cold...not sure if it matters.

Drizzle on the nail polish. I used 3 colors.

Use the toothpick to swirl it and move the colors around.

Dip the wine glass in. All of this needs to be done quickly. And viola. Easy peasy. Or so I thought.

When it came time to clean the glass bowls from the nail polish, it was a pain. And not to mention the excess nail polish in the sink. I used nail polish remover to get rid of it, but it was still a pain.


So I got this brilliant idea of using Styrofoam, disposable bowls so I could just dump the mess in a trash bag.

BIG mistake. The nail polish sank to the bottom and ate through the bowl and the water started leaking everywhere, along with the nail polish.


So we got the glass bowls back out and finished the rest of the wine glasses.








They turned out pretty cute but a little clumpy. I'm wondering if it's because we used nail polish that we already had and who knows how old they are? If I were to do this again, I'd use new nail polish and try cheap metal baking trays (the disposable kind).
I also don't know how they are going to do when I wash them by hand...definitely not putting them in the dishwasher.

No comments: